A guide to style and good tailoring

Hi welcome to my own unique perspective on what constitutes style and individualism. The vast majority of the photos are taken using a mobile phone camera and I have no make up on.......

I'm in my late 30's and I'm also a widow which probably explains why I look so god damn hot in black, well that and being an ivory skinned pale red head! It also documents my wardrobe, so many people seem fascinated by my clothes and compliment me for how I look wearing them.

It is one woman's campaign against Jeans, Tracksuits and Ugg Boots!

More importantly it's about altering your view on life and trying to do the right thing even though it isn't always the easiest.

This blog is a story in taking pride in yourself and not letting yourself go, or settling for second best because you know what girls? No one really is better than someone if they don't treat you like a Queen................

Friday 14 December 2012

Life's not worth a damn until ..........

You can say "Hey World I am what I am"........

I was listening to some songs from a variety  musicals. I find I often return to the song  "I am what I am"; I love the message in this song. So I thought I would pick out the key lines that speak to me as an individual.


I am my own special creation

How many of us are truly ourselves? We spend out time emulating others, wanting to be like them. How many people can truly say they are the very best version of themselves that they can be? Don't waste your life being anyone other than yourself.


Give me the hook, or the ovation

I can't help but smile when I hear these lines - it is about peoples commitment to you, they are committed to help and cheer for you, the ovation; or they are against you. This is one of those you are with me or against me lines. You are a supporter or a detractor. I like it because their is no middle ground. No ambiguity.


It's my world that I want to have a little pride in

Take pride in you life, your appearance, your achievements. Take pride in your friends and be thankful for all your blessings. This is about enjoying what you have but not over doing it.

I don't want praise, I don't want pity

I don't need external validation or affirmation so when I do something great it is enough that I think it was great, I don't need people to keep telling me. I also like that the song recognises that the same is true for pity. When really bad things happen you don't want people to pity you or feel sorry for you, you want a bit of empathy and to be treated like a normal person - you don't need to seek your value externally, the answers are within yourself.

I'll beat my own drum

Well I am marching to the sound of my own drum, so it is a good job it is me beating it hey!

Why not try and see things from a different angle?

I live my life by this, whatever you first think turn it round 180; so girls when you get a "fade away" or the A-hole, you probably think what did I do? what did I say? yada yada yada, and you feel there is something wrong with you. HELLO get with the program girlfriend, this is nothing about you. It is them! Thank them, they know they aren't good enough for you and they are freeing you to find the wonderful person you deserve. Really the chances are it was a narrow escape from the wrong person for you.

I am what, I am and what I am needs no excuses

NEVER, I repeat NEVER make excuses when you are being yourself, you do not need to apologies for who you are or explain

One life, so it's time to open up your closet

Don't live life in fear, don't let fear make your decisions for you. Face the 




It seemed fitting to throw in my "Finding Nemo" dress. How many women can look this good wearing a fish tank? I love it, and it is turquoise :) I wore it to a friends wedding and did have a moment as us girls do of "Oh what if someone is wearing the same thing as me?".......If my best mate hadn't done an emergency stop. Turned to me and said "Chick, if someone is wearing the same as you I really will run naked down the promenade".........

Not sure why I worry really - No one has ever been wearing what I am ;)

It was an amazing wedding and all the more lovely as I wore my pearls for the first time since my husband died. I wore them on our wedding day.



Dress: Sarong wrap by Vivien of Holloway in Hawaiian Ocean Print (not reef)
Shoes: Bordello Mary Janes





If I look slightly dazed and confused this is because I have been awake for 30 hours at this point, isn't IT great :)

Photos: Marvellous Marv the Hardware Hippo and Best Friend in the Universe

No comments:

Post a Comment