A guide to style and good tailoring

Hi welcome to my own unique perspective on what constitutes style and individualism. The vast majority of the photos are taken using a mobile phone camera and I have no make up on.......

I'm in my late 30's and I'm also a widow which probably explains why I look so god damn hot in black, well that and being an ivory skinned pale red head! It also documents my wardrobe, so many people seem fascinated by my clothes and compliment me for how I look wearing them.

It is one woman's campaign against Jeans, Tracksuits and Ugg Boots!

More importantly it's about altering your view on life and trying to do the right thing even though it isn't always the easiest.

This blog is a story in taking pride in yourself and not letting yourself go, or settling for second best because you know what girls? No one really is better than someone if they don't treat you like a Queen................

Monday 18 February 2013

Renaissance man or a teenage mutant hero turtle?

In 1564, the renaissance artist Michaelangelo passed away in Rome. He was an Italian Renaissance sculptor, painter, architect, poet, and engineer who exerted an unparalleled influence on the development of Western art. Despite making few forays beyond the arts, his versatility in the disciplines he took up was of such a high order that he is often considered a contender for the title of the archetypal Renaissance man, along with fellow Italian Leonardo da Vinci. Michelangelo was considered the greatest living artist in his lifetime, and ever since then he has been held to be one of the greatest artists of all time. 

The film "The Agony and Ecstasy" with Carlton Heston and Rex Harrison, is Hollywood's attempt to dramatise the life and time of Michaelangelo. It was a good film, you can't go wrong with a bit of Charlton but I would have preferred that it had covered the one true regret of his life. Late in his life, Michelangelo nurtured a great love for the poet and noble widow Vittoria Colonna, whom he met in Rome in 1536 or 1538 and who was in her late forties at the time. They wrote sonnets for each other and were in regular contact until she died. Condivi recalls Michelangelo's saying that his sole regret in life was that he did not kiss the widow's face in the same manner that he had her hand.

The Renaissance means rebirth or to be reborn. The overarching concept is one of change and difference. So I wore a skirt and top because I haven't worn one in weeks(nearly months)! I love the colours in this ensemble. I like the cold but bright baby tiffany blue top and I love the white skirt with the blue flowers because it is so unusual. I think you get an entirely different look depending on whether you wear the top in (smart) or out,  which is a bit more homely.

The skirt is as comfortable as it is cute! A sexy, curve-hugging silhouette, a high waist with  yoke, and a provocative back slit, with a wide collar and half sleeves the Doris top is the perfect companion to any vintage-style skirt or capri pants.

Pencil Skirt: Blue Floral by Pinup Couture at Pinup Girl Clothing
Top: Doris in Baby Blue from Pinup Couture at Pinup Girl Clothing
Shoes: Schuh









No comments:

Post a Comment