A guide to style and good tailoring

Hi welcome to my own unique perspective on what constitutes style and individualism. The vast majority of the photos are taken using a mobile phone camera and I have no make up on.......

I'm in my late 30's and I'm also a widow which probably explains why I look so god damn hot in black, well that and being an ivory skinned pale red head! It also documents my wardrobe, so many people seem fascinated by my clothes and compliment me for how I look wearing them.

It is one woman's campaign against Jeans, Tracksuits and Ugg Boots!

More importantly it's about altering your view on life and trying to do the right thing even though it isn't always the easiest.

This blog is a story in taking pride in yourself and not letting yourself go, or settling for second best because you know what girls? No one really is better than someone if they don't treat you like a Queen................

Wednesday 24 April 2013

Cloud 9, the unknown etymology of an idiom

Cloud nine is an idiom referring to a state of elation or happiness, like many idioms it's etymology is undcertain. A commonly heard explanation is that the expression originated as one of the classifications of cloud which were defined by the US Weather Bureau in the 1950s, in which 'Cloud Nine' denotes the fluffy cumulonimbus type that are considered so attractive. Another explanation is that the phrase derives from Buddhism and that Cloud Nine is one of the stages of the progress to enlightenment of a Bodhisattva (one destined to become a Buddha).

Neither of these explanations holds water. To begin with, both the cloud classifications and the Buddhist stages to enlightenment have ten levels. To single out the last but one stage of either is rather like attributing the source of the 'whole nine yards' to American Football where it is ten yards rather than nine that is a significant measure.

This dress is called Cloud 9, the last time I wore it I can genuinely say I was a long way from feelings of elation or happiness and somehow that is worse because I actually wore it last at a wedding. Don't get me wrong I was very happy for the bride and groom I was made up for them. It was my cousins wedding, wanting to feel happy for other people why I was there and I wanted them to know that I was there for their special day. I am glad in many respects that my Dad raised me to have more front than a row of terraced houses and as much bottle if not more than United Dairies if he hadn't I would have never managed to get through that day. I had buried my husband two days before and in two days time I faced my first wedding anniversary as a widow. Not the best place to be finding yourself when it comes to celebrating weddings. 

It is time to reclaim it. It is such a beautiful happy dress.

Dress: Cloud 9 by Bettie Page Clothing
Shoes: Kurt Geiger









 

No comments:

Post a Comment