A guide to style and good tailoring

Hi welcome to my own unique perspective on what constitutes style and individualism. The vast majority of the photos are taken using a mobile phone camera and I have no make up on.......

I'm in my late 30's and I'm also a widow which probably explains why I look so god damn hot in black, well that and being an ivory skinned pale red head! It also documents my wardrobe, so many people seem fascinated by my clothes and compliment me for how I look wearing them.

It is one woman's campaign against Jeans, Tracksuits and Ugg Boots!

More importantly it's about altering your view on life and trying to do the right thing even though it isn't always the easiest.

This blog is a story in taking pride in yourself and not letting yourself go, or settling for second best because you know what girls? No one really is better than someone if they don't treat you like a Queen................

Tuesday 9 April 2013

It may well be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the egg!

Yesterday one of the last political big hitters passed away. You might not agree with her politics but it will be a long time before we see Margaret Thatcher's like again. She was one of the last Conviction rather than Consensus politicians, and I think it is fair to say she influenced me in many ways. She was never one to back away from the path of most resistance if she thought it would deliver the best results.

I remember when I was little wondering why people went on about women's lib, given that we had a Queen and a Female Prime Minister, I was in my late teens before I am understood chauvinism  fortunately it isn't difficult to be twice as good as most men.

I have to confess I did like Maggie's style, and I loved her handbags and matching gloves, her omnipresent pearls. She brought in power dressing when she changed from dresses to suits and she was a fan of the pussycat bow blouse. I also loved her when she had a moment in a tank complete with headscarf! Her hair was unchanging and appeared immovable, I was convinced that her hairstyle would survive a nuclear bomb. 

In the celebrity death match of Iron Man versus the Iron Lady then my money is definitely on Maggie, Robert Downey Jnr wouldn't stand a chance, that woman wielded a handbag last a master. In fact if there was a second hand handbag to own it would have been one of Margaret Thatchers. She was also a damn fine Chemist who gave the world soft ice cream like Mr Whippy.

She had a fantastic turn of phrase and I do find myself quoting her in day to day life, some of my favourites are:


  • It may well be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the egg!

  • If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.

  • In response to a interviewer who asked if she thought the cabinet were treated differently because of people's genders she said "Oh no, I never treated any differently because they were merely men"

I am fairly certain she was prepared to meet her maker, whether her maker was prepared to meet her is an entirely different matter! She was the last bastion of 'backbone' and 'stiff upper lips' and let's face it you had more balls than most most men. R.I.P Maggie.

Today's outfit is black to mark the passing of a great woman, Lace so we remember our strength as women and the red shoes well they remind me of how she absolutely walked all over Labour.


Cardigan: Cutout by Voodoo
Skirt: Lace by Bettie Page
Shoes: Aldo







No comments:

Post a Comment