A guide to style and good tailoring

Hi welcome to my own unique perspective on what constitutes style and individualism. The vast majority of the photos are taken using a mobile phone camera and I have no make up on.......

I'm in my late 30's and I'm also a widow which probably explains why I look so god damn hot in black, well that and being an ivory skinned pale red head! It also documents my wardrobe, so many people seem fascinated by my clothes and compliment me for how I look wearing them.

It is one woman's campaign against Jeans, Tracksuits and Ugg Boots!

More importantly it's about altering your view on life and trying to do the right thing even though it isn't always the easiest.

This blog is a story in taking pride in yourself and not letting yourself go, or settling for second best because you know what girls? No one really is better than someone if they don't treat you like a Queen................

Tuesday 2 April 2013

Oh well lad, I've never had a bride not turn up!

Today in 1960 my Mum and Dad got married. It is a minor miracle that this event happened really, we still have a good laugh about the eventualities of the day.

You see Dad was marrying that "Byrom girl" - oh the scandal! Her parents were (are you ready for this) divorced!!!!! So there was a lot of debate about whether my Dad's mum was going to go to the wedding, not least because apparently mother had forgotten to invite the lesser spotted Auntie Mildred, now Grandmother decided the best time to bring all this up was on the wedding day morning whilst mother was getting ready, because obviously a bride doesn't have enough going on!

Meanwhile, my Mum's "real" Dad (in the biological sense) decides to arrive and demand to be the one to give her away. If mother had known who he was it might have helped! After all he sold the business and the house and left my Nana whilst she was in hospital having my Mum so my Mum had no idea who he was and had to be told that was her father. She told him politely where he could go. 

Now it is roughly half an hour before kick off, you've dealt with the mother in law to be who thinks you are the "scandalous harridan of a woman", you've met your Dad for the first time and all you want to do is get ready for your wedding. You would think the universe would cut you some slack? No chance.

The final intervention, it's the Dr, he tells my Mum she can't marry my Dad. It's a waste, she will be a widow in 6 months. There are no treatments for asthma and the next attack and he is going to be a gonner. He pleads with my Mum.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the church is filling up and my Dad is dutifully stood waiting at the altar. Kick off time passes.............The vicar says not to worry, it's the ladies perogative after all. After 30 minutes the vicar said to my Dad "Oh well lad, I've never had a bride not turn up, plenty of grooms, but never a bride! If she's not here in another 30 minutes we'll go to the Astley for a pint".

Fortunately mother did arrive (in fact her pyjama bottoms were still on under her wedding dress). Gran turned up to the wedding, her Dad didn't and needless to say my Mum spent 44 very happy years with my Dad before she became his widow (rather than the 6 months stated).

Ahh imagine how different the world would have been if my Dad hadn't tied my Mum's pigtails to the chair in assembly on her first day of school!! LOL

Anyway to celebrate I am wearing a dress called "Veil". It is beautiful, it is an Audrey Hepburn dress. The material is embossed and has iridescent thread throughout it which the camera doesn't pick up, the black overlayed floral print is exquisite. The black cummerbund middle with the wavy edge on the top draws all the attention to your curves, it is a timeless classic that is beautifully feminine and fun.

Dress: Veil by Bettie Page Clothing
Shoes: Kurt Geiger






No comments:

Post a Comment