A guide to style and good tailoring

Hi welcome to my own unique perspective on what constitutes style and individualism. The vast majority of the photos are taken using a mobile phone camera and I have no make up on.......

I'm in my late 30's and I'm also a widow which probably explains why I look so god damn hot in black, well that and being an ivory skinned pale red head! It also documents my wardrobe, so many people seem fascinated by my clothes and compliment me for how I look wearing them.

It is one woman's campaign against Jeans, Tracksuits and Ugg Boots!

More importantly it's about altering your view on life and trying to do the right thing even though it isn't always the easiest.

This blog is a story in taking pride in yourself and not letting yourself go, or settling for second best because you know what girls? No one really is better than someone if they don't treat you like a Queen................

Monday 22 April 2013

Today is brought to you by the numbers 8,7 and 6

On this date in 1509 Henry the VIII th ascended to the throne in Britain. I find it interesting that he is remembered for reformation, essentially transforming Britain from a Catholic to a Protestant nation and for having nearly as many wives as Elizabeth Taylor had husbands!

I have always found it amusing in an ironic way that the title "Defender of the Faith" or if you prefer Fidei defensor was actually conferred upon Henry by the Pope for his book, Assertio Septem Sacramentorum (Defence of the Seven Sacraments), which defended the sacramental nature of marriage and the supremacy of the Pope. It seems somewhat ironic that at school you remember the rhyme divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived!

So we have 8 for Henry being the eight to carry his name, seven for the sacraments and six for the number of wives!

This dress is fab, it is affectionately called the prison warden because an old boss of mine said that's what the colour reminded him off, so tongue in cheek I am wearing it because if you were one of the wives of Henry the 8th a visit to the Tower of London was highly likely.

I adore the cornflower blue in this dress, I love slightly muted, or earthy colours as they suit my skin tone. I find peter pan collars hard to resisted because they remind me to stay young at heart. The matching buttons down the front make this a really sweet work dress. I also like the the skirt is a little fuller.

This is another grandma revamp, restyle and rebuild. Grandma takes shrinking things by 4 to 5 dress sizes in her stride, she fires up the sewing machine equivalent of a Bugatti veyron! You should hear it, it has a serious engine and kind of purrrsss like a lion would.  

Dress: Peggy in Denim originally by Bettie Page Clothing, restyled and revamped by Grandma AKA Matriarchal Marv and seamstress to the stars (oh and if you think the alterations are fab, wait until you see what Grandma makes!!!!)
Shoes: Kurt Geiger


No comments:

Post a Comment