A guide to style and good tailoring

Hi welcome to my own unique perspective on what constitutes style and individualism. The vast majority of the photos are taken using a mobile phone camera and I have no make up on.......

I'm in my late 30's and I'm also a widow which probably explains why I look so god damn hot in black, well that and being an ivory skinned pale red head! It also documents my wardrobe, so many people seem fascinated by my clothes and compliment me for how I look wearing them.

It is one woman's campaign against Jeans, Tracksuits and Ugg Boots!

More importantly it's about altering your view on life and trying to do the right thing even though it isn't always the easiest.

This blog is a story in taking pride in yourself and not letting yourself go, or settling for second best because you know what girls? No one really is better than someone if they don't treat you like a Queen................

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Pre-raphaelites and the water nymphs of the Rhine

Today's dress is called Lorelei, which is the name given to Sirens or Mermaids that live in the river Rhine. From being a little girl I adored mermaids (as well as Dragons - never really a fairy person though. I have a theory about this too). I think this is because I like swimming in open water.

Many folktales record marriages between mermaids (who might assume human form) and men. In most, the man steals the mermaid's cap or belt, her comb or mirror. While the objects are hidden she lives with him; if she finds them she returns at once to the sea. In some variants the marriage lasts while certain agreed-upon conditions are fulfilled, and it ends when the conditions are broken. They sometimes lured mortals to death by drowning, as did the Lorelei of the Rhine, or enticed young people to live with them underwater.

Immortalised by J W Waterhouse, The Mermaid as with many of the women he painted had Auburn or Red Hair. The pre raphaelites were on to something when it came to choosing women to be painted or depicted as an "archetype". So I am glad that Disney stuck with the red hair theme for Ariel, from Disney's The Little Mermaid

This dress is fabulous, the vamp collar brings in the femme fatale of the Lorelei and the tight fitting pencil skirt which is narrow at the bottom tapers like a fishes tail. The box pleats at the back reminds me of the fold away fins that mermaids have, and the colour. That speaks for itself.

I would never ever entice you to drown (far from it!) but I might encourage you to jump right in!

Dress: Lorelei in Rust Pinup Girl Clothing
Shoes: Kurt Geiger









Photos: Marvellous Marv the Hardware Hippo and Best Friend in the Universe

No comments:

Post a Comment