A guide to style and good tailoring

Hi welcome to my own unique perspective on what constitutes style and individualism. The vast majority of the photos are taken using a mobile phone camera and I have no make up on.......

I'm in my late 30's and I'm also a widow which probably explains why I look so god damn hot in black, well that and being an ivory skinned pale red head! It also documents my wardrobe, so many people seem fascinated by my clothes and compliment me for how I look wearing them.

It is one woman's campaign against Jeans, Tracksuits and Ugg Boots!

More importantly it's about altering your view on life and trying to do the right thing even though it isn't always the easiest.

This blog is a story in taking pride in yourself and not letting yourself go, or settling for second best because you know what girls? No one really is better than someone if they don't treat you like a Queen................

Sunday 13 January 2013

The best Tom Boy in disguise dress ever!

The 1940s day dress is a gold medalist in my book, an Olympic hero in the styling super stakes. Really just like the RAF in the Battle of Britain they punch well above their weight. This is for me the personification of the Tom Boy dress. It lulls people in the false sense of "girly feminity". Snigger.

My sister put it in my mind with her comment yesterday, it made me think back to being little. I used to take things to pieces and tie electronics to my bike to pretend to make it go faster LOL Climbing trees, playingout and making dens in the wood. I even had star wars figures and PJs. You never leave your inner Tom Boy behind, you just get better at covering it up as you get older.

From the shoulders to the sweetheart neckline highlighting your collar bone and bust, to the nipped in waist, the gentle wrap skirt with a gentle rolling frill; really what more could you ask for from a dress? I know, a decent slit so you can run and climb! 

They thought of everything back then. Look good, sprint, hurdle and climb trees whilst maintaining your dignity! Really when it comes to looking good whilst doing an obstacle course this design is unrivaled.

I have this dress in several prints, this particular one is called forget me not. Forget me nots are one of my favourite flowers, I love the lilacy ultraviolet blue. I also like the story behind how they got there name.


Dress: 1940s Day Dress in Forget Me Not Vivien of Holloway
Belt: 2inch clasp in black Vivien of Holloway
Shoes: Hobbs



Beautiful, elegant, feminine



Fantastic flattering neckline and skirt



See GENIUS! You can hurdle
 let alone sprint in this number.



Climbing, not a problem, and 
dignity is maintained at all times


It is the ultimate Tom Boy disguise :) Which probably explains why I like this dress so much.

1940s Day Dress we salute your sheer genius!

2 comments: